Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Tofu Cube... OF DEATH!!!

I had a charming case of food poisoning last quarter, which I was able to (thanks to Medical Micro) identify as heat stable staph toxin. I don't want to go into it now, but at the time, I asked my friends who had been at the same restaurant if anyone had the same symptoms, and a friend wrote back that she can't get food poisoning since she doesn't eat any meat.

Contra that, today I noticed a report in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports, and they talk about this Chinese couple that got botulism from their fermented tofu.

Anyway, I have extracted below the recipe for TOFU OF DOOM.

The tofu was a commercially packaged product purchased at a retail market. In the home, the tofu was boiled, towel dried, and cut into cubes. The cubes were placed in a bowl, covered with plastic wrap, and stored at room temperature for 10--15 days. The tofu was then transferred to glass jars with chili powder, salt, white cooking wine, vegetable oil, and chicken bouillon to marinate at room temperature for 2--3 more days. Finally, the fermented tofu was stored and eaten at room temperature.


*
Note that I cite MMWR below.

No comments: