Friday, September 09, 2005

Decompression II

2. Success has many definitions. My classmate S____y says that MSTPs tend to be unsuccessful. What does he mean by this? Very few people are amazing physicians and amazing scientists simultaneously. "We all think we can beat the odds." I finally realized that I don't really plan on playing those odds. On my way back from DMS, I swung by Norbert University,* my undergraduate, and had lunch with my advisor. She has a single paper in PubMed, which is over 11 years old. She has no graduate students. She does not appear to have received any NIH grants. And yet, she's very successful, at least by my lights. She changed my life. She is an amazing mentor, mother and a courageous human being (for reasons I'd rather keep private). I'll bet you Hannon doesn't come close. She's also one of the co-creators of the research project that inspired me to get into research in the first place, which brings me to my next point...

* After the Norwegian Ridgeback from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

No comments: