Thursday, May 31, 2007

Going to take a toilet bowl cruise...

As you may know, I'm taking the USMLE Step 1 tomorrow. Briefly - it's an eight hour computerized test covering the first two years of med school. Oh, and it's $400 to register for it. Here's a nice bit of the rules:

Your entire testing session is scheduled for a fixed amount of time. The computer keeps track of your overall time and the time allocated for each block of the test. At the start of the testing session, you have a total of 45 minutes of break time. This allotment of time is used for authorized breaks between blocks and is also used to make transitions between items and blocks.


I like the bit about my break time being used for transitions. That means I get charged a nickel every time I answer a question, a dime if the computer decides to be slow. It reminds me of the Dilbert* where the Pointy Haired Boss tells the employees that they're banking too much vacation time, so therefore they will be charged vacation time while they're in the bathroom, hence my title, which is a paraphrase of Wally's reaction.


*: Can't find it, otherwise would post, also don't have time, must sleep. An hour of sleep is like an hour of studying, or something.

No comments: